Saturday, February 2, 2013

Sicky Kippy

I tried to post this the other day but had technical difficulties.

Thursday I took Kip to the doctor...he has the flu, double ear infection, sinus infection & bronchitis. :(

Two weeks ago he had lots of congestion. I assumed it was allergies or at the worst a cold. I treated his congestion and wiped, wiped, wiped his nose throughout the week and last Sunday his nose stopped running and congestion was almost completely gone. I thought we were in the clear.  Then...

Just before bed he coughed a little, twice....

During the night it turned "barky" so I knew we had a case of croup. Monday morning he had a low grade fever for just a very short time. I decided to monitor him, give him his inhaler regularly, and push fluids.  As is typical with croup, his cough wasn't bad during the day but got worse at night. So for the next couple of nights, he and I didn't get any sleep. He was so miserably congested he couldn't breathe comfortably. Every night I'd countdown the hours til I could call the doctor to get him an appt. Then he'd wake up in a good mood, wanting to play, and not coughing. So I'd change my mind and add some tricks to his med regimine.  Then...

Wednesday his cough sounded more wet and heading to his chest.rather than the barky croup cough. And he started running a low grade fever in the afternoon. So I called the doctor and got an appt for the next morning.  Then...

He slept restlessly the first half of the night but slept better the second half. When he woke up, he was of course in a great mood. He was telling his knock knock joke and playing with Eric. I almost cancelled his appt, almost. 

As Eric was getting him dressed, he coughed a couple of times. Coughs scare me because they can get bad so fast in little ones. That's why I kept his appt, to get his cough checked before the weekend. And I'm so glad I did!!

Flu, double ear infection, sinus infection and bronchitis!!

I was thinking to myself how did I miss all of that?!

We got some meds and his pedi gave me a prescription for tamiflu for myself just in case.

Kip screams when we go to the doctor. He's all fine until we go back with the nurse. He screams when they weigh him, he screams when they take his temp, he cries when they take his pulse ox, he screams when they check his ears, he screams when they run any tests...you get the point.

He did find 2 things delightful there today though. His first sucker experience and playing with the rolling stool.

No comments:

Post a Comment